Are you the event planner in your family? Personally, I love it. It is a pleasure to host special meals and parties for family and friends.
My organizational skills are now being put to the test with a fun project: meals with Grandpa! The "test part" is that I can't host the dinners in my own home...I've gone mobile!
Unfortunately, my house is not handicap-friendly. No wheelchair access. No first floor rest rooms. I want so much to help but having him come here for dinner is pretty much out of the question.
So, for a little change of pace for Grandpa-- and some much needed relief for the rest of my family--Wednesday nights are now Family Dinner Nights with Grandpa and I bring it to him!
We started two weeks ago with one of his favorites: Stuffed Peppers. To save time, I made them "boat style". It cooks faster and yet you get the same great flavor. This recipe does not require par-boiling the green peppers. I like that. One less step!
Wednesday #2= Baked Lasagna
I started making the meal at 3:30 pm. Much to my dismay, a couple of the green peppers had started to spoil so I had to make a fast trip to the store to buy more. It made for a hectic, high-speed production to get everything ready to hit the road by 4:30 pm.
I loaded up the car for the 25 minute drive and left the house saying with glee "I feel like a caterer!" Everything went so well.
This menu plan that we will have for the next five Wednesdays is:
- Wednesday #1 Baked Lasagna with tossed salad, Italian bread
- Wednesday #2 Chicken Divan with rice pilaf and blueberry muffins
- Wednesday #3 Sweet 'n Sour Pork (Polynesian style) on rice
- Wednesday #4 Chili and Hot Dogs
- Wednesday #5 Little Cheddar Loaves with mashed potatoes and corn
We all had such a nice time and Dad said he'd like to do it again...and we will, every Wednesday!
Got any ideas? How can I make this work even better? What recipes would you recommend? How about food-transporting styles? Please share in the comments!
What Sinea's Been Writing About...
- How To Train a Puppy or Two - training one puppy is challenging, but TWO? Wow!
- Martha Stewart - There's No One Like Her - she's amazing!
- Lyme Disease in Dogs, Cats and Humans - learn the facts and keep your family safe.
- Calculating Weight Watchers Points - Weight Watchers is one plan that actually works!
- Jell-O Salad Recipe - want to be the star at your next party? Bring this!
Photo Credit: Meat & Cheese Lasagna by piyato on Free Digital Photos