This marshmallow craft is so much fun for preschoolers, kindergartners, older kids ... even moms!
I love marshmallow art and this craft is so easy to do. The photo below is the sample I made to show my preschoolers what it should look like. Afterward, I took pictures of a few of theirs to capture the preciousness of art done by 3 and 4 year olds. Adorable! Interestingly, none of them tried to eat the marshmallows! That was a surprise.
This craft was part of a C is for Caterpillar lesson. We read the ultra popular book by Eric Carle, "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" that day, as well.
The skills our students used in making their craft include: following directions, cutting paper, gluing with glue sticks and Elmer's glue, using dot markers and waiting (patiently waiting) when help was needed! That last one is a biggie.
13 students and 2 adults = learning to wait your turn. They did well!
Caterpillar Marshmallow Craft
You will need:
- White (or light) C is for Caterpillar blank sheet printed on card stock or cover stock (free printable below)
- Green leaf, printed on green copy paper (free printable below)
- 5 large marshmallow halves*
- Dot markers
- 2 googly eyes
- Stickers (flowers and/or bugs)
- Pipe cleaners cut in 1 - 2 inch pieces
- Child-safe scissors
- Glue stick
- Elmer's glue
- Black Sharpie pen or felt tip marker
- Start with a C is for Caterpillar page -- print it on cover or card stock and you'll need a Leaf page printed on green copy paper.
- Cut the marshmallows in half using scissors.
- Cut out the leaf.
- Glue-stick the green leaf to the center of the C is for Caterpillar page.
- Make a big letter "S" on the leaf using Elmer's glue.
- Lay the marshmallow pieces in a chain on the "S"
- Press the marshmallows down GENTLY
- Put 2 drops of Elmer's glue on the front marshmallow and place the googly eyes on them.
- Using your pen or marker, make dots under the eyes in the shape of a mouth.
- Color the other marshmallows by gently stamping the dot markers on them.
- Insert pipe cleaners for legs. No glue needed. They just stay put naturally.
- Add flowers and bugs to the leaf using self-adhesive stickers. I bought my stickers and googly eyes from my favorite thrift store, Dollar Tree!
- Take a picture!
C is for Caterpillar Marshmallow Craft made by a 3 year old!
Blank C is for Caterpillar page
Leaf page to print on green paper
Very Hungry Caterpillar Graph with free printables
Note: this author is an Amazon affiliate. Anything that you purchase from Amazon through Ducks 'n a Row will result in a small commission for me. In advance, "thank you" ...Sinea